Monday, July 14, 2014

Ashley Walters' Story from Haiti

To read the main article and other stories click here.

Where do I even begin? Human logic tells us things have a beginning and an ending. Our earthly logic has its limits. Many things of God,God himself, and the Holy Spirit far exceed our earthly understanding, knowledge, and logic. Perhaps we are designed to always be this way, after all it humbles us and grows faith. Maybe God has been preparing us and continues to prepare us for more and more knowledge and understanding. Like any Father, although wiser and greater than anything we can even imagine, he knows when we are ready for such things and when we are not. Just like a baby can not eat solid food, we are not born ready to understand abstract concepts first, only the concrete. All people at some point ponder this among many of God’s other creations, plans, and intents. All people at some point are likely to argue over such things because they have come to believe one thing over another based upon our earthly logic and understanding. I am far too small, far too ignorant, far too earthly, to try and fit such holy matters into my own logic for my own understanding and benefit. The more words I say, the more I am aware of how little I am and how Great my God is. I pray that God and the Holy Spirit guide my words so they do not make nonsense, but say or do not say the exact things they would will them to say.  

I am writing to share my experiences in Haiti. Thanks to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit for they are present everywhere, and have provided me this opportunity through Trinity. I have been really growing and learning the past 2 or 3 years about God, Jesus, and the Bible. I use to open the bible and try to read it when I was younger. I even tried to break it down in small sections and try different versions to really understand and learn from it. I would open to a random page and say God speak to me! Finally with success in small group and life groups, I decided that I never was a reading enthusiast so reading the bible maybe was not the way for me to learn. A few days before my trip my husband and I had a wonderful day led by God, just as we had when we first met. Our conversation flowed and we talked effortlessly about the love of God and Jesus. That afternoon he went to work and I had an immediate desire to go and retrieve my bible. I opened it and read Ephesians 5:13 which says, “But all things that are exposed are made manifest by light, for whatever makes manifest is light.” This verse was so beautiful and colorful, I had to continue. So I read until the end of Ephesians falling in love word by word. After I finished, I went back and began from the very start of Ephesians and read the book in its entirety. I fell to my knees in prayer, the beauty, the color, the light, the truth, I thanked God and Jesus. Since then I have had a burning desire to keep reading the bible. Now that is another story, but directly relates to how I perceived things on my trip in Haiti. I fell in love from the time our airplane neared Haiti. I continued to grow in love the whole time in Haiti through the places, the people, and the Holy Spirit who guides and tends my heart. The bible says all things will be made new, or something along those lines in a few  different places. There is a direct connection to when we notice God and his presence, all things we once felt, thought, and saw become new in the light of God. The same is true for once we understand and truly accept Jesus and the Holy spirit. Matthew 9:35-38 says, “Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues proclaiming the Good News of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of Harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

I hope this does not seem unrelated to Haiti, for there are no other words or ways to describe it for me and do it justice. As far as CODEP the organization we are partnered with, I leave feeling that they are a rare, special organization that is being led by light and we should continue to be partners offering whatever the Lord puts on our hearts to them. They are bearing fruit, and their branches are expanding! For if it is of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, it will also be directed by. Praise God and may he bless, in Jesus name! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment